Lead Digital Product Designer
Substantial is a Seattle-based digital product studio. We build experiences to empower and connect people through the web, mobile, and connected devices. Our work ranges from mobile apps to large, embedded multi-touch installations for Fortune 500s, startups, social impact organizations, and local to global brands. No matter what we’re focused on, the products we build go beyond just development and design – we’re here to solve problems, create responsibly, and build relationships.
What You’ll Do:
As a Lead Digital Product Designer, you’ll be a driving force behind the concept and craft of a product’s design. You’ll span the roles of project leader, contributor, and design mentor for your creative team and department – meaning you’ll be jumping between setting direction, creating deliverables, and helping your teams constantly improve. You handle it with ease through solid time management skills, mastery of client services, an inspiring attitude, and thoughtful application of the latest trends and practices of the design industry. In your day-to-day you will:
- Evaluate a product experience holistically, from the high level strategy to the specific details of the interactions
- Exercise authority in determining short and long term design needs, objectives, and approaches to projects
- Take on various tasks, design-related or not, to support different processes and needs on your project teams
- Collaborate directly every day with designers, developers, engagement managers, and clients
- Balance time between directly working on design and supervising / maintaining the quality of work from other contributors on your team
- Propose or support at least one project per quarter that drives improvements for the company
Who You Are:
You are a collaborative leader
You set the stage for excellent product design through active listening and working side by side with your teams, clients, and department.
You are a master of business and design
You quickly identify and support client service and business needs with design, helping your teams advance these skills.
You are an ambitious designer
You don’t believe in resting on your laurels and easily tackle situations of ambiguity to figure out how to keep yourself and your work moving forward.
You are an adaptive contributor
You’re eager to jump in on tasks to support your team as needed, with no ego or complaints.
You are an active community member
You support your teams, the company, and the design community by attending events, sharing knowledge, and learning from others.
You have the experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of experience in a client services or agency environment
- Proven experience leading teams and mentoring other designers in previous roles
- Experience or familiarity solving problems across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and prototyping tools
- Understanding of development practices and experience directly collaborating with development teams
- Strong communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
- Fierce passion for collaboration and growing with others
How to apply:
To apply please send us the following:
- A brief hello describing who you are, why you’re interested in this opening, and how it aligns with your career goals
- Your resume (PDF or Markdown/text preferred)
- Links to some of your work (if possible) - portfolio, Github, Dribbble, etc.
- (Optional) An example of something that inspires you
Substantial is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.